Christy from Embellished Bayou made a dramatic change in her kitchen just by restaining her cabinets!
Amazing! Here are the DIY steps she took:
1. Remove all cabinet doors & drawers. I numbered each door & drawer with a piece of tape on the back to keep track.
2. Clean all surfaces with TSP cleaner.
3. Lightly sand all surfaces with fine to medium sandpaper.
4. Clean again with TSP, wipe with tack cloth
5. Apply stain with foam brush, wipe off after several minutes. I used Olympic Premium Interior Oil Based Stain in Mocha Brown.
6. Apply second coat, wipe off
7. Use a dry brush to further work stain into grain and trim work if neccessary.
8. Let dry overnight or for a couple days
9. Apply clear polyurethane (follow direction on can). I used Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethan in Clear Satin.
10. Let dry for 24 hours.
11. Rehang doors & insert drawers.
I only did the front side of the cabinets, not the insides. This would have taken twice as long, obviously, and I was ready to be done! Overall, I think the project took a couple weekends, just because I liked to let everything dry very well. There are some scratch marks around the cabinet knobs on a couple doors and a couple small places where the stain has rubbed off after I spilled something and had to wipe hard with a damp cloth, but overall they have held up well. It really transformed the look of the kitchen!
I love how updated and new they look by just changing the color! Thanks for sharing Christy! You did a fantastic job!